Having good nutrition and sleeping habits is very important for education. It is important for children and adolescents to perform well in the classroom so that they get the most out of their education. Having poor sleeping habits or poor eating habits can have many harmful effects on a child’s classroom performance. If children have good eating habits as well as good sleeping habits they will perform better and be able to live up to their potential.
Good nutrition is very important for children in all areas of their life but it is a key factor in how they perform in the classroom. One study showed that “taller more healthy children have higher levels of verbal development” and healthier children have “positively associated performance on reading, spelling, and arithmetic tests” (conceptual). Classroom tests are a very good indicator of how a child performs in school. The study shows that children with good nutrition have done better than children with health problems or who are under-nourished. Another study correlates with the first in showing that “children who had more adequate diets scored higher on the cognitive battery than those with less adequate intake” ( ).
Good nutrition helps cognitive function which is defined as “the ability to learn categories, to process and structure information, and to learn and react to social and environmental cues. Cognitive function also includes the ability to ask appropriate questions and provide appropriate answers with in a given environment and to identify and solve relevant problems” (Cline). Cognitive function is important for good performance in the classroom because if a child cannot convey t...
... middle of paper ...
...nd teachers would be able to get more accomplished with their students during the day. Studies show that there is a direct correlation between good sleeping habits in children and increased learning ability. Children who get adequate sleep have better cognitive function, are more inclined to concentrate better, and formulate questions better for things they do not understand.
Good nutrition and good sleeping habits are important to good classroom performance. They both can greatly improve learning ability and cognitive function having a positive affect on children’s education. When children have poor sleeping habits and poor nutrition their learning ability is less and classroom performance is lower. Both factors are very important for children’s education and good habits should be developed early ensure that they will do well throughout school and in life.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
The Importance Of Healthy Eating Habits Help Improve Concentration And Memory, Classroom Performance, And Overall Health
- To: Junction City Daily Union Dear Editor, Listen up for this surprising statistic. More than one in three middle school students who regularly eat school lunches are overweight or obese. They are furthermore expected to have high LDL "bad" cholesterol levels than kids who bring lunch from home. The school system is slowing hindering our children’s health and setting them up for an extensive range of future health complications. The school lunch program offers limited nutritional value and is overloaded with processed foods.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Lunch, Health]
897 words (2.6 pages)
- Melissa Rossiter, currently an Assistant Professor in Applied Human Nutrition at Mount Saint Vincent University and a Registered Dietician, conducted a descriptive study through the means of a questionnaire in 2007. This questionnaire, distributed to 130 prospective teachers, was intended to measured their “eating patterns”, “nutrition knowledge” and “personal health beliefs” as well as the “school’s food environment”, and the contribution these measures had on intended food practices in the classroom.... [tags: Nutrition]
1881 words (5.4 pages)
- Eating habits refers as what and how people eat, and our selection of food. Every human being have to eat food to survive, and food also produces immunity against disease. Every meal is organized mixtures of food items served at a certain time throughout the day. Most people are adjusted with the habit of eating three meals in a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner). The first meals we eat is in the breakfast, in general breakfast consist of lighter food as compare to lunch and dinner. People believe that having a good breakfast will help you to increased concentration in your classroom or work.... [tags: Nutrition, Health, Food, Meal]
1162 words (3.3 pages)
- What a wonderful time to discuss food eating habits and nutrition while the American people, or at least a fairly decent percentage of them, fight against Monsanto and GMO labeling on their food. This story, “Bartleby, The Scrivener”, to me, describes an elderly man looking over his life and coming to the realization of something that many people fail to comprehend until the damage of their choices have already taken their toll, he came to the realization of his health. I believe that the narrator of the story, like many of Americans once they reach a certain age, take health and nutrition into account after years of carelessness concerning the longevity of a fully functioning, self healing,... [tags: Food, Nutrition, Eating, Domestic turkey]
1134 words (3.2 pages)
- There is a long held belief that children’s eating habits directly link to their achievements in school as a nutritionally balanced diet makes it easier for school children to concentrate in the classroom. Healthy eating is defined by the information standard as “consuming the right quantities of foods from all food groups in order to lead a healthy life.” There is strong evidence which will be evaluated throughout this paper suggesting that healthy food consumption contains several types of nutrients, which are a requirement for the many vital processes in the body.... [tags: Nutrition, Primary education, School]
2935 words (8.4 pages)
- What is one of the most serious public health problem in the 21st century. Most of the people think that it is drug, lack of sleep, depression, teenage pregnancy, or cancer. Any of these problems is in public health attention as serious and dangerous dilemma. However, major concern of health department is obesity among children and youth. “Childhood obesity has more than doubled in children in the past 30 years. The percentage of obese children aged 6–11 years in the United States increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 18% in 2012” (Childhood Obesity Facts, 2015).... [tags: Obesity, Nutrition, Health, Childhood obesity]
2055 words (5.9 pages)
- Importance of Nutrition in Human Health As they always say HEALTH IS WEALTH. Your food selection today, makes you enjoy for the moment and affects your health tomorrow and in the future. Why nutrition in general is important. Good nutrition plays a vital role in maintaining healthy body. In medical term, nutrition is the science or practice of devouring and utilizing food sustenance. It is where you will chose to eat a healthy diet with the nutrition basics needed to attain a healthy lifestyle.... [tags: Nutrition, Health, Carbohydrate, Hypertension]
1156 words (3.3 pages)
- The Importance of Diet and Nutrition A child's diet and nutrition is a growing concern. Parenting is one of the most difficult jobs in the world, and often times parents struggle just to get their children to eat. Most parents assume that as long as their children eat something, it is fine to let them eat what they want. The wrong approach to food can give children mixed messages about proper nutrition and lead to serious problems later. Parents are solely responsible for children's poor eating habits.... [tags: Health Nutrition Pyramid Diet]
954 words (2.7 pages)
- Table of Contents Nutrition Therapy 1 Nutrition Consult 1 Meal planning 2 Body Weight Considerations 2 Psychosocial support. 3 Calorie Intake 4 Nutrient Composition of the Diet 4 Fat Intake 5 Carbohydrate Intake 6 Sucrose 6 Fructose 6 Vitamins and Minerals 7 Alcohol Intake 7 References 8 Nutrition Therapy The most fundamental component of the diabetes treatment plan for all patients with type II diabetes is medical nutrition therapy.... [tags: Health Nutrition Pyramid Diet]
2616 words (7.5 pages)
- Nutrition Paper When I first began this project I thought the 7 day eating log was going to be a waste of time, but now that have completed it I realize that it is actually very beneficial. I never realized how bad I was eating until I took a step back and looked at it. This has greatly impacted me to change my eating habits, and start to chose healthier foods. Something I learned about myself is that I have a lack of will power when it comes to certain types of candy or food. I saw ice cream come up more than once on the list, which isn’t very healthy.... [tags: Health Nutrition Pyramid Diet]
525 words (1.5 pages)